Deadline: March 31, 2023
Undergraduate students who are attending a Washington NASA Space Grant Consortium affiliate institution, are in good academic standing, and are interested in research in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM fields) are eligible to apply. Applicants must be U.S. citizens (but do not need to be Washington state residents). As a University of Washington program, SURP has historically focused on providing opportunities for UW students (from any campus), with students from Consortium affiliate schools welcomed as space was available.
For 2023, WA Space Grant is able to nearly double our SURP cohort. Students from all affiliate schools are strongly encouraged to apply for the program — we anticipate having plenty of space for you! If you have any questions about applying, or you wish to schedule an appointment with our student advisor to discuss your resume, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 20 – August 18, 2023
- Attendance at the SURP orientation meeting in June (time TBA).
- Responsible adherence to the schedule of work set up between student and research adviser.
- A written project abstract due at the end of the eighth week of the program.
- Respond to requests for research project updates.
- Attendance and participation in a weekly two-hour seminar meeting.
- A 10-minute presentation to seminar participants on the student’s research.
- An “action photo” of the student researcher working on their project.
- A research poster summarizing the student’s project, due upon completion of the program.
SURP students will display their posters at the annual Space Grant poster session and will apply for acceptance to the campus-wide Undergraduate Research Symposium the following spring. The action photo may be used in any of the following (although the student may, of course, opt out): Slide shows on the WA Space Grant / UW Aeronautics & Astronautics television monitors, WA Space Grant (or the student’s home department) social media, or WA Space Grant promotional flyers.
The following materials complete the application process:
- A completed SURP application form — due March 31, 2022
- A current, unofficial copy of your transcripts
- A brief resume outlining your skills and relevant activities
Questions should be directed to: email@example.com.