Do I have to be a Washington state resident and a US citizen?
- For Washington state residency: If the University of Washington considers you a resident for tuition purposes, you may be living out of state and still apply.
- For U.S citizenship: You must be a US citizen to apply. Permanent residents are not eligible. If you have applied for citizenship, please note this on your application. However, you must have received your U.S. citizenship by the time the scholarship is awarded.
Do I also need to apply to the University of Washington?
- Yes. This is a separate application.
- You do not have to be accepted into UW in order to apply for our scholarship. However, this Space Grant scholarship is for UW students only and is not transferable.
- In order to receive your scholarship award, you must accept UW’s offer of admission and be officially enrolled for classes in autumn 2021. If you accept a Space Grant scholarship and then choose not to attend UW, you must notify us of your decision to withdraw directly either by email or letter.
If I did not attend high school in Washington state but the University of Washington considers me a Washington state resident, am I eligible to apply?
- Yes, you are eligible to apply.
Do I have to have taken the PSAT, SAT and ACT?
- No, the tests are not required.
Do the copies of my transcripts need to be official?
- All transcripts must be official. A copy may be sent from your school via Parchment; our name in the Parchment system is “University of Washington WSGC.” Or a paper copy can be mailed directly to our office — they must be in a sealed envelope and sent directly from the institution to our offices.
- All other application materials (essays, economic challenge statement and list of honors/activities) should be uploaded with your application unless you have prior approval from the Space Grant student advisor.
If I am sending transcripts to the UW’s admissions office, do I also need to send them to you?
- Yes. We cannot access the information at the UW Admissions Office so a separate set of transcripts must be sent to us.
I just found out I won a scholarship from ____. Will that affect my scholarship?
- It may affect the amount of your award. We need to know about any other scholarships and how those funds are disbursed. We cannot provide a tuition scholarship, for example, if you already have received a tuition scholarship from another source.
Does my application need to be completed in one sitting?
- No. When you hit the application submit button, you will receive an email containing an individual login that will let you view the status of your application and update your information until applications close on January 20, 2021.
- This login also allows you to update your in-progress application and see if we have received your transcripts and letters of reference.
The University of Washington in not my first choice. Should I still apply?
- Yes! This is a terrific opportunity and is not available to UW students after their enrollment so we encourage you to apply anyway while you are weighing your choice of schools.
How do my references submit their letters of recommendation?
- First you need to fill out the reference section of the application. Please list name, title and valid email address for each of the two people who will be writing your letters of recommendation.
- Once you have submitted your application, your references will receive a unique email link with instructions on how to upload their letters of recommendation.
My reference did not receive an email link to upload a letter of recommendation. What should I do?
- Please sign back into your in-progress application using the login information you received via email when you first submitted your application. Once you are logged in, you will be able to update your reference’s contact information and/or resend the email link to your reference.
- Once logged in, you will also be able to replace one or both of your references by entering a new name and email for each reference. Your new reference(s) will receive a unique email link to upload a letter of recommendation.
My Teachers have already provided me with copies of their letters of recommendation for my college applications. Is it okay to submit those letters in my WSGC scholarship application instead of asking for new letters?
- No. WSGC scholarship applications are highly competitive and your letters of recommendation are a significant part of the selection process. The best letters of recommendation are specific about what makes a student stand out from other students, and what qualities ensure that student’s success in college and beyond.
- Each recommender receives a link unique to an individual student from which they may upload a letter of recommendation. We ask that letters of recommendation be on official school stationery and include the recommender’s name, position and signature.
Is this scholarship transferable to another university?
- No. This Space Grant scholarship is for UW students only, though you may apply for the scholarship before receiving an admissions letter from UW.
- If you accept a Space Grant scholarship and then choose not to attend UW, you must notify us of your decision to withdraw immediately by email, phone call or letter.